Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Malicious Code on the Web

Man, there are some sick puppies out there in www-land. So there I was, innocently using the "Next Blog" button you see in the upper right hand corner to the Blogger blogs to find a blog with my template that already had a blogroll from which I could "borrow" the coding, when I got slammed by the nastiest little piece of malicious code I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. I hit this one site (can't remember which one) and see the "download" window flash up. I immediately turned off my internet connection, but it was too late; the damned thing screwed up my computer something awful -- it deleted (or hid) about half of the icons on my desktop, hid the "Quick Lauch", turned "My Documents" into a hidden folder, sent my IE Favorites somewhere, and removed the "Accessories" program tab (which made it tough to get to system restore). I'm sure it did some other weird stuff that'll show up over the next couple of days. What pisses me off the most is that my AV and Firewall programs are completely up-to-date; I guess that teaches me to randomly surf to sites where I don't know what I'm getting into. I was able to recover pretty much everything in a couple of hours, but still...

5 Comments:

Blogger Bubblehead said...

Half,
Thanks! I would imagine there's some way to report it, but I'd think that Blogger would be scanning for executable code on their servers. I'm not sure which site actually delivered the code; I still had my "History", but I wasn't going to go clicking on them until I found the right one! I do remember that a couple of blogs before had the "Next Blog" button reversed... I'm wondering if that sent me to a site outside of Blogspot that still looked like a Blogger blog.

1/27/2005 8:10 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

I've got Norton for both Internet Security and AV, and they're both updated at least once a week. Still confuses the hell out of me with how it happened. The code also turned off the automatic E-mail virus scan as part of it's routine... quite vicious.

1/28/2005 10:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the newer virii intentionally disable your anti-virus software right up front so they can do their thing. I had one last fall that took a week of duelling with before I finally completely got rid of it. I'd run Norton, it would fight back. Reload and restart Norton, get a little farther. Reload and restart...

Ted (aka Rocket Jones)

1/28/2005 12:02 PM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Why don't you just use Blogrolling?

Also if you want to just surf around (and get some site hits in the process) try out Blog Explosion or Blog Clicker, or both.

I got here via IMAO--what did the evil puppy blender "steal" from you?

1/28/2005 3:29 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Beth -- I had posted on the idiot professor Ward Campbell on Thursday, who Instapundit on Friday said he had been ignoring, and then proceeded to turn into a lengthy post. My comment on IMAO was hopefully seen as being made with tongue planted firmly in cheek, as most comments there are. I'm enough of a realist to recognize that the "big boys (and girls) of the blogosphere don't stick their noses into the submarine corner very often, if at all. I really like your blog, btw.

1/30/2005 5:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home